The work of nation-building, one citizen at a time

After the high drama and colorful events of the last elections, the work begins--of bringing the country to a brighter direction, of unifying the Filipino people, and uplifting the plight of the citizenry. Let history unfold.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back in time for the action

Seems like it's a good time to get commenting again.

I know I'm supposed to be finishing up work, but this business of refurbishing the blog couldn't really wait. After all, I don't know if I'll have time to tweak layouts after tomorrow.

What's tomorrow? Presidentiables forum at De La Salle University. Like a good many people, I'm planning to turn up early on campus just to score a good seat in the event. Actually I don't care if I end up sitting on the floor of the balcony, for as long as I get to hear what's going on and just what the candidates have to say (or what they don't have to say) for themselves

Rumor has it that at least 4 of the notable candidates confirmed their attendance tomorrow. Somehow I wonder whether about one or two of them are being prudent in deciding to come to De La Salle University. It will take serious restraint on the part of some of the students attending the forum to keep their reactions in check. At least my friends and I were just joking about borrowing a certain infamous backhoe to dig a hole in the middle of the football field to fill up with all the trash from the landfills in order to show a certain point to a particular candidate.

This slightly sordid joke though is just a symptom of one thing that some of the candidates (especially the presidentiables) should take into account: there are just some people who aren't amused, much less persuaded by cheap gimmicks and catch jingles anymore. Has the young electorate begun to be more critical and discerning with regard to their choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment