The work of nation-building, one citizen at a time

After the high drama and colorful events of the last elections, the work begins--of bringing the country to a brighter direction, of unifying the Filipino people, and uplifting the plight of the citizenry. Let history unfold.

Monday, September 21, 2009

PiNOY power!!

I first heard about the PiNOY Power concert through my friend Carmel, but I honestly wasn't sure if I could make it, mainly due to the distance. However, my older cousin happened to mention it over dinner on Sunday, so my sister and I agreed to go.

This awareness + fundraising concert for Senator Noynoy Aquino and Mar Roxas starred a delightful mix of old-timers (APO Hiking Society, Bayang Barrios, The Dawn, etc) and newcomers (All Stars, Paraluman, Aiza Seguerra, etc). And the UP theatre was quite filled up. One of the more remarkable performers was Mae Paner (aka Juana Change!) who gave a piece about her need to take a stand on the issues of change and governance, albeit by supporting a candidate. There were video tributes and presentations, as well as song parodies (Bohemian Rhapsody election style) that also had the crowd cheering.

I love how all the guests were able to get the crowd to participate (whether it was by standing up and singing along, or simply flashing the L sign. Everyone was just so enthusiastic about the entire thing, regardless perhaps of motivations for being there.

One of the most powerful moments for me was when everyone began singing "Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo". Maybe that song has become a little trite for my generation, but its message is all the more clear nowadays. Even if we won't take to the streets, I think we can still unite via the ballot. Which we have to safeguard.

No comments:

Post a Comment